On July 1, 2016 changes to the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) regulations, to require the mandatory verification of the gross mass (VGM) of packed containers will come into effect. However, for containers gated-in to a terminal before July 1 and are loaded after, (Pre Receival Advice) PRA’s may not have the VGM info included. As a result, 1-Stop and Flinders Ports will enforce the VGM fields in the PRA from 2.00pm June 22.
To comply with 1-Stop and Flinders Port’s go-live dates, TridentGLOBAL will update our software earlier to meet these requirements.
The amendments introduce two main new requirements:
1. The shipper is responsible for providing the verified weight by stating it in the shipping document and submitting it to the master or his representative and to the terminal representative sufficiently in advance to be used in the preparation of the ship stowage plan; and
2. The verified gross mass is a condition for loading a packed container onto a ship.
The VGM can be achieved by either of two methods:
1. Weighing the packed container; or
2. Weighing all packages and cargo items, including the mass of pallets, dunnage and other securing material to be packed in the container and adding the tare mass of the container to the sum of the single masses, using a certified method
What VGM info needs to be reported?
- Verified Gross Weight for all non-empty containers
- Weight Calculation method
- Date of verification
- Name of Declarant
- Company name of the Declarant
- Phone or email of the Declarant
Below are some useful links and FAQS
What are TridentGLOBAL doing for VGM?
Rest assured, we are working with the relevant parties to provide a solution in time for July 1 with our solution going live on June 22. When you have the VGM software update, the VGM details will be mandatory and validated within TridentGLOBAL before submissions are sent.
For all customers with the Shipping module with PRA or Saas Shipping module who use it to submit PRA’s to 1-Stop or Flinders Ports (CSX), the VGM will be submitted as part of the PRA message. The data will then be forwarded on to the carriers and terminals by 1-Stop or Flinders Ports.
There is no need to change the Forwarding Instruction (F.I.) document or the eFI/eSI message in TridentGLOBAL at this stage.
Version 9 Customers
We are making enhancements to the PRA submission screen to comply with the VGM including new fields for the VGM data to be entered manually. We have also included the ability to copy VGM data to all containers in a shipment.
Version 10 and Supply Chain Portal Customers
We are making enhancements to Shipment Management including additional fields for the VGM data to be recorded against each container. This data will be used to auto-populate the PRA. The Supply Chain Portal packing and PRA screens will also be updated with fields that will be auto-populated to allow the VGM data to be sent to 1-Stop or Flinders Ports in the PRA.
If you would like to prioritise your upgrade, please contact us. Alternatively, our CustomerCare Team will be in contact with you to schedule the upgrade from mid-June.
For further assistance head to the TridentGLOBAL CustomerCare Portal.